What I'm watching:
- It's March and being that March is my favorite time of the year, I thought I would post an old high school basketball video. Thanks Coach Otis for posting this in your Facebook!
- This was my freshman year of high school. This is a HUGE game every year because it is between two county rivals, Michigan City and LaPorte. LaPorte is my high school.
- Guys, this is a HIGH SCHOOL REGULAR SEASON basketball game. Look at the people! That is Indiana High School basketball at its' finest. When I compare Texas High School football with Indiana High School basketball, most of the time, I just get eye rolls. Really? Look at that video and tell me that's not crazy!
- Greg Tonagel, who hit that game winning shot, was my idol. He was every young Slicer's idol. Slicers are my high school's mascot. What's a slicer? Good question. Anyways, he went on to play at Valparaiso University and now is the head coach at Indiana Wesleyan University. As a matter of fact, Indiana Wesleyan just won the NAIA National Championship! Not only was Greg a GREAT player, he was and is a great person. You will hear about him again one day, I promise.
Greg Tonagel kind of doing the same thing at Valpo....
Bonus video plus:
Think you have heard of Valparaiso University? If you are a March Madness junkie like myself, you probably remember one of the best shots in tournament history by Bryce Drew to beat Ole Miss in 1998. By the way, Bryce is now the head coach at Valpo.
Jam I'm Jamming to:
- Nothing says 1983 like One Shining Moment. Nay, nothing says March Madness like One Shining Moment. Hopefully, they will be playing that when the Hoosiers cut the nets down this year. A man can dream, right?
Website I am frequenting: http://www.greatschools.org/
- What a great resource for the community! If one can find reviews of practically anything but public schools on yelp, google, etc, why not have the option of rating and reviewing schools?
- One of the things I like most about this website is their section titled GreatKids! What a great resource for parents or anybody who spends time with kids!
- I like Fridays. Who doesn't? My big thing during the week is to work hard enough to feel like I deserve the weekend. If I have, then Friday is like a celebration. An ending to a well worked week and a beginning to a well deserved little break.
- Do we celebrate Friday too much in schools and if so, what message does that send to our students? That we really can't stand being here and we actually get two days without you and then we show up on Monday with the "Monday blues" and are on the complete opposite mood spectrum than we were on Friday? What does that say about us?
- I like Fridays. I love spending time with my family over the weekend. I also love my job and I love coming to school everyday. I like making a difference in the community and in the lives of the students who I am lucky enough to have contact with on a daily basis. I won't lie, I like Fridays but I'm always a little sad when the building is empty on a Friday afternoon and I know I wont see the amazing people I work with and the amazing students I work for, for the next few days.
- Let's not stop celebrating Friday. If you've worked hard enough to feel like you've earned the weekend, then by all means, celebrate. Just think about the impact your celebration may be having on those students. If you don't want to be here, why should they?